ASEAN+3 Macroeconomic Research Office (AMRO) is currently looking for the position of Chief Economist to commerce work in Singapore from May 2022.
The Chief Economist will report to AMRO Director, and perform the following functions:
- To lead and supervise the planning and implementation of AMRO’s surveillance and research activities (such as ensuring the quality and timely delivery of surveillance and research assignments, developing the frontier insights, including forward-looking analysis and policy implication as well as recommendation, on issues related to economic and financial stability in the region);
- To lead and supervise the planning and implementation of developing analytical methodology and toolkits for surveillance and research;
- To lead the planning, implementation and supervision of ensuring consistency in the analysis and sound policy recommendations in AMRO’s surveillance and research products;
- To build and strengthen relationship with strategic partners (IFIs, and other IOs), and manage participation of AMRO in seminars, conferences and other events relevance to AMRO’s surveillance and research and oversee the quality and content of AMRO’s presentation materials;
- To lead and manage consultation meetings with the Advisory Panel;
- To lead and manage AMRO’s support function for the effective implementation of the CMIM, in particular, the production of AMRO’s Reports including policy recommendations, in coordination with the Deputy Director for CMIM Mechanism& Strategy Design; and,
- To perform other functions as may be determined by the Director in accordance with the AMRO Agreement.
QUALIFICATIONS & EVALUATION CRITERIA FOR CHIEF ECONOMIST
- Educational background Qualification: Ph.D. in macroeconomics, finance, public finance, international finance, or related fields from a reputable university, or Master’s degree from a reputable university with outstanding experiences and knowledge in the above fields.
- Prominent professional career and expertise in macroeconomics research or other related fields Qualification: Extensive academic research and/or policy study in the areas of Macroeconomics, Finance, Public Finance, Development Finance, International Finance and Exchange Rate Policy, or other related fields. Added Advantage: High quality research papers and/or articles (indicating by citations in other reputable research or publications) on Macroeconomics, Finance, Public Finance, International Finance and Exchange Rate Policy, or other related fields (desirably with particular focus on the ASEAN+3 region) in recognized international academic journals.
- Rich experience, capabilities and vision in macroeconomic and financial surveillance Qualification: Sufficient years of direct hands-on experience in leading, planning, implementation and supervision of economic surveillance activities and/or macroeconomic policies at international organizations with related fields and/or national government institutions. Added Advantage: Direct hands-on experience in making policy-related decisions, or designing one financial bailout program for a crisis-hit country or implementing policies relating to macroeconomic and financial surveillance at either the government of the crisis-hit country itself or a relevant international organization.
- Strong network contacts internationally, including within the ASEAN+3 region, with advanced countries, academic societies, and international organizations with related fields.
- Considerable experience in managing and leading a diverse team of economists with different cultural backgrounds and/or demonstrated international experience in working in a diverse culture environment, such as international organizations.
- Knowledge of analytical techniques, such as statistics, econometrics, as well as mathematical and other research tools and computer software necessary for analyzing large volumes of statistical data.
The appointment of the CE position will be for a fixed term of 3 years
Qualified candidates should send (a) CV, (b) brief description on relevant working experiences, and (c) earliest possible starting date of employment at AMRO, to: AMRO_CE@charterhouse.com.sg by 9 February 2022.
We will acknowledge receipt of all the applications. However, we regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
AMRO is an international organization established to contribute toward ensuring the macroeconomic and financial stability of the ASEAN+3 region. Its membership comprises the 10 members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and China; Hong Kong, China; Japan; and Korea. AMRO’s mandate is to conduct macroeconomic surveillance, support the implementation of the regional financial arrangement, the CMIM, and provide technical assistance to its members.